10 Weeks to 10 Years: Part 1July 23, 2016
Countdown to Showtime!
As of this week, we are 70 days away from opening our 2016 show: A Night on Broadway. That’s only 10 short weeks! 10 weeks to CenterStage Band and Show Choir’s 10th annual show.
In honor of the groups 10th season, I will be presenting a series I am calling “10 Weeks to 10 Years”. I will be sharing facts, highlights, and memories from members and fans of CenterStage to celebrate what this group has meant to the community over the last decade. So, let’s take a closer look at the group:
10 things you may not know about CenterStage
1. In 9 seasons CenterStage has performed 181 musical numbers:
66 were performed by the full chorus
26 were performed solely by the band
89 numbers were performed by an individual or a small ensemble
2. The CenterStage Choir has sung 10 different musical medleys featuring movie scores, disco favorites and a tribute to Queen. Even more medleys have been performed by the CenterStage Band.
3. 2008’s “New Broadway 101” was the group’s first all Broadway show, but there has been Broadway music performed every season.
4. CenterStage is one, big, happy family! Members have performed alongside their significant others, children, parents, and siblings.
5. CenterStage has performed multiple songs by some artists and groups. The Beatles prove to be the favorite: their music has been featured more than 6 times in 4 different shows.
6. Some other repeat artists include The Jackson Five, Tina Turner, Queen and Elvis.
7. We’re not kidding when we advertise “For All Ages”. Our choir members range in age from 25-80.
8. There are currently 25 performing members of the choir. 6 singers have been involved in all ten seasons of CenterStage.
9. 2 members are joining us for their first CenterStage Production.
10. “You Can’t Stop the Beat” from the musical Hairspray was the first song CenterStage ever performed as a group.
This talented group of singers and musicians have been presenting free entertainment for the last decade and they are sure to continue for many decades to come.
Come be a part of our journey and help us celebrate 10 years of CenterStage this fall.
We present A Night on Broadway September 29-October 1 at the Grand Theatre in Wausau.
Like us on Facebook to stay up to date on our “10 Weeks to 10 Years” series!